Abstract The spectrum of diseases under the umbrella term Neurodegenerative - ALS, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and others, represent a steep scientific and business challenge for med tech, biotech and the life sciences. Once
The spectrum of diseases under the umbrella term Neurodegenerative – ALS, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and others, represent a steep scientific and business challenge for med tech, biotech and the life sciences.
Once considered ‘elite’, the extraordinary gains of laboratory science progress in recent years have brought these related and difficult human disorders into perspective. Academic, and to a lesser extent, commercial researchers are providing game changing perspectives for compelling commercial and clinical therapy and potentially, solutions. The recent MDG Year of the Brain Symposium addressed many of these developments.
The Harvard Neuro Discovery Center says: “The numbers … $5Mil suffer from Alzheimer’s Disease, 1 Mil from Parkinson’s, 400K from Multiple Sclerosis (MIS), 30K from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) or Lou Gehrig’s, 30K from Huntington’s. These are mid to late life diseases – expected to soar as the population ages.
This MDG Forum will focus on the resources of active med device and life sciences entrepreneurs, clinical and R&D organizations addressing businesses that can make a difference. For this Forum, we will focus on Alzheimer’s Disease.
Jim Wessler, President & CEO, The Alzheimers Association, will address us from the perspective of an advocate for patients. Dr. Anil K. Nair, MD, Chief, Neurology and Director, The Alzheimer’s Center, at Quincy Medical Center, whose opinion is widely recognized internationally, will speak as a clinician treating patients. Dr. Cornelia B. Reininger, MD, PhD, Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, Navidea Biopharmaceuticals Inc., an emerging company here in the Boston Area, will discuss the development of precision imaging agents for the diagnosis of neurologic disease.
- Jim Wessler, President and CEO of the Alzheimer’s Association, Massachusetts/New Hampshire Chapter
- Cornelia B. Reininger, MD, PhD, Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer
- Anil K. Nair MD, Chief of Neurology at Quincy Medical Center and directs the Alzheimer\’s center
- Paul Hartung (Moderator), Cognoptix President and CEO
Who Should Attend?
- MDG Members who want to better understand the progress being made in this growing field
- Active Medical device professionals who are today – or, will be affected directly professionally in the future by each of the principal neurodegenerative diseases
- Therapeutic and clinical principals, managers, program development teams who participate in this patient care
- Research and business development teams in groups now offering neurodegenerative support
(Wednesday) 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Devices And Combination Products For Neurodegenerative