SAN FRANCISCO – (March 10, 2015) – Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (GEN) has put out its annual Top Biopharma list and the “Big 3” again hold leading positions. This year, Boston takes the #1 position from the Bay Area (#2) while San Diego comes in at #4 on their list.
GEN ranks regions based on five criteria:
- NIH funding—Taken from the publicly available NIH RePORT database, for the current federal fiscal year, from its start on October 1, 2014, through February 9.
- Venture Capital (VC) funding—Taken from figures furnished by the publicly available MoneyTree Report.
- Patents—Based on the number of patents containing the word “biotechnology” awarded since 1976 in namesake cities and suburbs where key companies are located.
- Lab space—Based on total-size-of-market figures, in millions of square feet, furnished by the commercial real estate brokerage JLL in its Life Sciences Cluster Report for 2014.
- Jobs—Based on JLL’s report. While job numbers are ranked this year compared with last year’s Top 10 US Clusters list, less weight has to be given to job totals in regions where GEN has found widespread discrepancies in job figures. However, workforce size was factored in when deciding the ultimate position of a region.
The “Big 3” went as follows: