Licensing Fundamentals for the Business Executive In partnership with Jones Day Program Overview: What is a license? What are the most commonly negotiated provisions by the business team? How do you prepare to
Licensing Fundamentals for the Business Executive
In partnership with Jones Day
What is a license? What are the most commonly negotiated provisions by the business team? How do you prepare to negotiate a licensing agreement? What are the pitfalls to watch out for? What questions do you as licensor or licensee need to ask to ensure that your needs are met? This half-day workshop will present the fundamental concepts of licensing and explain how these concepts are reflected in a contract, such as provisions regarding IP rights, royalties, exclusivity and technology transfer. To further demonstrate the points, the workshop will use example clauses specific to pharmaceuticals, biotech and software, but the concepts will be universally applicable to all industries and subject matter.
What you will learn:
- The role of licensing within different types of commercial transactions
- The types of rights that can be licensed
- Common methods of calculating and paying royalties, with publicly available industry examples of actual amounts paid
- Common pitfalls to avoid in licensing
- Hotly negotiated licensing provisions and the licensor’s and licensee’s view of each
- Where and what information to seek when conducting diligence
Who should attend:
Founders, CEOs, Entrepreneurs, Business Development Professionals, Inventors and IP Managers who are seeking fundamental knowledge about licensing, as well as scientists and technology experts considering a start-up business in need of licensing. There will be ample time for networking and Q&A provided. Please, no competing law firms.
(Wednesday) 8:00 am - 11:30 am
4790 Eastgate Mall Suite 125 San Diego, CA 92121